Publishing Design - Task 3: Book

25.05.2026 - 15.07.2026 ( Week 5  &  Week 13) 

Taylor's University

Shubashini a/p Subramaniam / 0367697 / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media

Publishing Design (GCD61404)

Task 3


Table of Content :

1. Module Information Booklet

2. Lectures

3. Task

4. Task Compilation

5. Feedback

6. Reflection


Module Information Booklet :  


Lectures

Lecture 5 Summary: Elements of Book Design

A book is built using three main elements:

  • Type (Textual Elements) - body text, headings, subheadings, captions, and pull quotes.

  • Images (Visual Elements) - photographs, illustrations, graphic elements, and visual themes.

  • Color - full color or shades and tones, including black-and-white publications.

Grid System & Format

These elements are organized through:

  • Format (size, paper type, binding, etc.)

  • Grid System (layout structure)

The grid is the foundation of book design. Before designing, a designer should:

  • Decide the book format.

  • Create margins and a grid structure.

  • Choose typefaces.

  • Arrange text, visuals, and colors within the grid.

A grid helps maintain consistency, visual order, readability, and attractive compositions.

Consistency vs. Variation

A successful book balances consistency and variation.

Consistency:

  • Same typefaces

  • Similar image styles

  • Consistent color palette

  • Fixed layout principles

Variation:

  • Different page arrangements

  • Different image sizes

  • Different text-image relationships

Too much consistency = boring

Too much variation = chaotic

The goal is to create surprise while maintaining unity.

Typography Advice

For beginners, use one type family and vary its weights (bold, semibold, italic, condensed, regular, etc.). This creates visual consistency while still allowing clear hierarchy for headings, subheadings, and body text.

Printing & Page Count

Printed books are produced using folded sheets called signatures, commonly in 16-page increments.

Ideal page counts:

  • 16

  • 32

  • 48

  • 64

If a book’s page count does not fit these standard signatures, extra paper may be needed, causing waste and higher printing costs. Therefore, designers should plan content carefully and keep page counts within standard printing requirements whenever possible.


Task 3

After developing content (text and visuals) the next stage is to determine the format (size and binding method), and an appropriate & attractive layout based on a suitable grid system, choice of font/s and use of colour. You have already determined size and format it Task 1 exercises. 

1. Due to time constraints the binding method shall be predetermined to be staple binding (saddle binding). The book is of 32 pages, which is smaller than A4 and bigger than A5. However, should you wish to try a Page | 9 different binding method you may do so with the approval of your lecturer. 

2. You will need to adapt a suitable grid system, choose a fitting font and create an attractive layout in InDesign. 

3. Your choice of colour must compliment your visuals and play a role that is supportive but also create dynamism where needed. It is advised to limit the use of colour, as it could be distracting. 

4. You need to determine your paper type, for cover as well as inside pages. A visit to the print shop is advised. The end result will be an actual size mock-up of the book with finishing that is of good standard. 

Task 3A: Book

I decided on this typesetting for my book : 

Figure 1, Chosen Font

This is the measurements I decided for my layout after trying out multiple versions from our exercises from Task 1: 

Figure 2, Margin & Columns Format

At first my first chapter of my book got approved by sir via online messaging. I gave him two of my best layouts made and he chose my second option over the other as he said, "The second one seems better but you need to ensure that your chapter headline sits within your margin and always is treated and positioned in the same place, so that it does not confuse people."

Figure 3, Try 1

Figure 4, Try 2

But then during physical class, he told me he did not like it and I had to start from scratch. After that I came up with this :

Figure 5, Re-Try Chapter 1

Figure 6, Re-Try Chapter 2

He said he could see my visions but there was some much needed improvements for my official book.

Revised Book Layout : 

Figure 7, Final Try Chapter 1

Figure 8, Final Try Chapter 2

Figure 9, Final Try Chapter 3 & Conclusion

He said that he liked it and I should put in the images in it and see the overall look. I did and we both liked the outcome and I finished up the entire book with his approval.

Next he asked us to print the Black and White Mock up of our book so he could give his final remark physically. He checked my mock-up and gave me a few revisions on what to fix. He fixed some sizing of the fonts and kerning of sentences, besides that my book was good to go.

Figure 10, Black & White Mock-up of my Book

Figure 11, Inside my Black & White Mock-up of my Book

Figure 12, Feedback Sir gave to fix my Book

Figure 13, Feedback Sir gave to fix my Book

Lastly I printed a page in colour to see how it came out and after that I got approval to print my book.

Figure 14, One Spread Printed out with Colour

After getting it printed out, I gave it to sir for the final checks. Overall he said my books looks like a legitimate book that could be sold, I''m taking that as good feedback. He later told us to capture the book creatively for our E-Blog.

                                                    

Task 3B: Video

I begin by making my storyboard so I have an idea before I create the video.


Then I began making it in Canva and showed sir. He said so fsr it looks okay but I should make the words remain longer as its too fast and people ight not be able to read it and he said tht I should include my visuals i here to give a glimpse of what my book has to offer.



After fixing that I decided to use Traditional Indian Instrument as my background audio, as I liked it how it compliment and contrast my design and the vibe of my book.


Task 3 Outcome Compilation:

Task 3A Book :

Thumbnail of Complete Layout in BW




Thumbnail of Complete Layout in BW (PDF)


Final Book Presentation







Thumbnail of Complete Layout in Colour




Thumbnail of Complete Layout in Colour (PDF) 


Flip E-Book















Feedback

Week 6

Since it was a public holiday, we had no class but I sent sir some of my progress so I could start with my work. He chose my second design and told me to refine it more as some details were a bit messy. I replied that I would carry on with the rest using this same format.

Week 7

I think sir forgot that I had sent my progress and entirely rejected my previous week work. I redid it according to sir instruction and he gave me tons of feedback. He looked through my revision and told me I could continue with the rest. However I did not have enough time to print out my first chapter in A3. I showed him virtually my chapter one with all the visuals.

Week 8

Today we had a virtual class and I shared my work with sir and he gave some details to fix. WE fixed the leading of my book as well as some design choices to make it look more consistent with it overall. We ended class with sir approving my book design and telling me to go along and start thinking of ideas of my cover. He also asked to print out the book in black and white so that he could take a closer look to inspect it.

Week 9

Class this week was on a public holiday thus sir, told us to meet him the day before to look at our progress. I met sir in the morning and he went through my printed out black and white mock-up book. He saw a few mistakes in it like some sentence adjustment, pixelated picture and font size differences that he pointed out to me to change. I showed him my cover page and he said it looks okay but told me to experiment more.

Week 10

Today in class I just printed out a coloured spread from my boook to test the colour print out. It went well and I got sirs approval to print out the rest of the book.

Week 11

Absent

Week 12

I showed sir my printed out book in colour, he approved its outcome and told me to proceed with the video making process from Task 3B. He approved my moodboard and saw my somewhat not complete video. He asked that I include my visual elemnts in my video to have some similarity.That was it


Reflection

Experience:

This project helped me understand the complete publishing design process, from planning layouts to producing the final printed book. Although I had to redesign my layout after receiving new feedback, the revisions improved my work and strengthened my design skills. Printing the mock-up also taught me the importance of reviewing designs in their physical form.

Observations:

I observed that consistency in typography, grids, spacing, and alignment creates a more professional publication. I also learned that printed mock-ups reveal issues that may not be noticeable on screen, making revisions an essential part of the process.

Findings:

This project showed me that successful book design requires both creativity and attention to detail. Through continuous feedback and refinement, I improved my layout skills and gained greater confidence in producing a publication suitable for print.



Comments

Popular Posts